Tuesday, 21 January 2014

The Non-Plastic Maori

In the new year another eco-warrior entered the battle against plastic. Tina Ngata is also going a year without buying plastic. Check out her blog.

And she is awesome; eloquent and smart with some great ammunition for the doubters out there. Have a read of what she has to say:

I recently had this discussion with an older, conservative man and honestly... YAWN. I cannot believe people still try to play this ridiculous circular argument card. It's like saying "unless you give up speaking English you cannot demand Maori language rights".

Look here - the VAST majority of everything you have around you, and on you, at the moment, will be fossil fuel based or sourced. Your mode of transport, the clothes you wear, the utensils you cook with, the toilet you sit on, the device you are reading this on. I, for instance, could not post on here if it were not for petroleum based plastic products.

SO BASICALLY - they're saying that, in order for me to have a say - I need to go live in a cave with no transport (where nobody will hear my say). Convenient huh.

Bollocks. I have had no say in how our economy has developed and the choices made available to me - I can make choices about my own expenditure but if I REALLY want to effect change and demand alternatives FOR our society then I need to be a member OF society and for now, because of historically biased economic choices, that means consuming fossil-fuel based products. If I want to use my voice to demand better processes, fairer economies, sustainable alternatives... then I will damn well do that so that I CAN use fossil fuel free alternatives to push my case further - without having to go and live in a cave.

Of course... there's the shorter answer - which is - I'll use my voice however the hell I want, when I want, where I want.

And then there's the even shorter answer, which is only two words. 


Exactly! What more can be said? Kia ora Tina

2 comments:

  1. Nawww... KIA ORA MERREN! Thanks so much for the props. Love your blog and rely on it often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh lol and just for clarity - the argument was the old "You can't drive your car to a Oil protest" pahlava. Can you believe I spent 2 hours of my New Years Eve night stuck in that level of debate? The things we do for family.

    ReplyDelete